Top-Ranked Armstrong Takes Down No. 8 Columbus State
Greenwood, SC – Looking for its first Peach Belt Conference Tournament in program history, the eighth-ranked Columbus State University tennis team had a tough task facing off against top-ranked Armstrong Atlantic State University. Well, the Pirates ended the quest for the Cougars Sunday morning defeating CSU 5-0 as they captured their eighth straight PBC championship. The match took place at the Joe Cabri Tennis Center in Greenwood, South Carolina.
Armstrong (24-0) took a commanding lead after sweeping all three doubles matches. Mikk Irdoja and Georgi Rumenov, the top-ranked doubles team in the nation, gave Gordan Divljak and Quentin Rayniere their second consecutive loss defeating the Cougar duo 8-2. In a matchup of top-25 doubles pairs, 16th ranked Sven Lalic and Pedro Scocuglia defeated sixth-ranked Martin Shishkov and Olivier Simonet 8-2. Eudaldo Bonet and Matus Mydia completed the Armstrong sweep at third doubles taking down Adi Malicbegovic and Michael Trebuhov 8-3.
The Pirates wasted no time in clinching the match by winning first and second singles. At first singles, top-ranked Rumenov defeated 23rd ranked Simonet 6-0, 6-4. In the clinching match, third-ranked Bonet took down 48th ranked Divljak 6-1, 6-2.
Columbus State will mostly likely host one of two NCAA Southeast Regionals beginning Saturday, April 28. The full tournament field will be announced on Tuesday, April 24.
1. #1 Georgi Rumenov (Armstrong) def. #23 Olivier Simonet (CSU) - 6-0, 6-4
2. #3 Eudaldo Bonet (Armstrong) def. #48 Gordan Divljak (CSU) - 6-1, 6-2
3. Quentin Rayniere (CSU) vs. #5 Mikk Irdoja (Armstrong) – no result
4. Martin Shishkov (CSU) vs. #10 Matus Mydla (Armstrong) – no result
5. Michael Trebuhov (CSU) vs. #35 Pedro Scocuglia (Armstrong) – no result
6. Danilo Sardelli (CSU) vs. Daniel Regan (Armstrong) – no result
1. #1 Irdoja/Rumenov (Armstrong) def. Divljak/Rayniere (CSU) - 8-2
2. #16 Pedro Scocuglia/Lalic (Armstrong) def. #6 Shishkov/Simonet (CSU) - 8-2
3. Bonet/Mydla (Armstrong) def. Michael Trebuhov/Adi Malicbegovic (CSU) – 8-3