Columbus — The sixth-ranked Columbus State women's tennis team defeated No. 10 Francis Marion 5-0 in the regional final Monday afternoon at the Mary V. Blackmon Tennis Center in Columbus.
It is the third time the Lady Cougars (22-3) have knocked off FMU after beating them in the regular season and in the Peach Belt Conference Tournament.
With the win, Columbus State advances to the round of 16 where they will face No. 5 Abilene Christian on May 8 in Surprise, AZ. It will be the fifth overall and second straight appearance for the Lady Cougars in the round of 16.
Columbus State took command of the match early with a sweep of the three doubles matches.
The seventh-ranked duo of Paola Cigui and Carolin Weikard won at first doubles 8-5 over No. 18 Mona Blauen and Julia Graf. Olivera Jokic and Laura Chapman made quick work of Tereza Baranova and Nora Westbye winning 8-2 at second doubles. At third doubles, Andrea Redrado and Renata Paiva completed the sweep for CSU with an 8-4 defeat of Kimberley Hurter and Lena Specht.
With the three doubles wins, the Lady Cougars needed just two victories in singles to seal the win.
Second-ranked Cigui gave CSU its fourth point with a quick 6-0, 6-1 win over No. 20 Blauen at first singles. Laura Chapman then sealed the victory at fourth singles downing Kimberley Hurter 6-3, 6-1.
The other four singles matches went unfinished, but the Lady Cougars won the opening set in each and were leading in the second set when play was stopped.
1. #2 Paola Cigui (CSU) def. Mona Blauen (FMU) – 6-0, 6-1
2. #44 Carolin Weikard (CSU) vs. Tereza Baranova (FMU) – 6-3, 2-1 unfinished
3. #45 Olivera Jokic (CSU) vs. Julia Graf (FMU) – 6-0, 4-1 unfinished
4. Laura Chapman (CSU) def. Kimberley Hurter (FMU) – 6-3, 6-1
5. Andrea Redrado (CSU) vs. Lena Specht (FMU) – 6-4, 2-1 unfinished
6. Renata Paiva (CSU) vs. Nora Westbye (FMU) – 6-3, 2-1 unfinished
1. #7 Weikard/Cigui (CSU) def. #18 Blauen/Graf (FMU) – 8-5
2. Jokic/Chapman (CSU) def. Baranova/Westbye (FMU) – 8-2
3. Redrado/Paiva (CSU) def. Hurter/Specht (FMU) – 8-4